29 July 2018

Developing Trading Tools and Trading, C#/.NET/ Python/Java, SQL, API/REST/FIX, Excel

Having a recent bout of focus on further development of my personal trading toolset, and talking to a couple of contacts, I realized that while huge strides have been made on the tools available these days to the lone trader/developer from C#/.NET/Python, async and multi-threading, REST/FIX APIs, enterprise grade SQL databases. The total available number and permutations of programming languages, frameworks, libraries, techniques are getting very hard for a single trader/developer to handle all of them seriously and competently these days. To add to that is the consideration of the speed and pace of development to bring the toolset to fruition.

On top of the tech stuffs are working on the actual monitoring and executing of trading, development and research on trading strategies and reading up on market and research reports. We could be talking about some serious overloaded task list here!

A simple conundrum in my case, while I am working with mainly the Microsoft stack on my own free time basis, I am interested to know what Python/Java/Scala and R can bring to the table. I suspect it will take me a long time to work through all these and working on my own trading, research and reading at the same time.

I have begin to appreciate the team based approaches that are the working models for many modern trading and investing setups these days. From simple observation, the teams are usually made of of traders and developers. Traders or quants are responsible for coming up with trading strategies and P/L, while the developers support the traders by requests from the traders to develop tools that will help traders succeed with their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment